2/02/2006

I saw a well-dressed woman walking into the library

Context
I work at the Shreve Memorial Library. Specifically, my cubicle is in the Main Library downtown. Shreveport is one of those cities where most of the poorest and a lot of the richest people tend to congregate downtown, at least during the day. The library is blessed to have both as patrons.

Commentary
Often, my first thought upon seeing someone who looks prosperous walking into the library is, "I hope the homeless people don't bother her." If I'm completely honest with myself, I'll admit that I usually point the word "bother" at the homeless people, as in "don't bother her by smelling bad and acting weird."

But is it possible that the blame for the "bother" actually belongs to the rest of us? Why are people who have money so reluctant to associate with those who don't? Do we think poverty is evil? Contageous? Incomprehensible? Outside our sphere of influence?

Or do we think it's damning? That if we're around poor people, we'll be reminded that we're really pretty selfish, even in the face of desperate need? No wonder they bother us. No one likes to feel guilty.

What did you see today?

No comments: