10/26/2012

I saw a story about a touching gesture

Context
I was looking over the New Items List on my library's catalog when I found Eric LeGrand's Believe: my faith and the tackle that changed my life. LeGrand is paralyzed as the result of an injury he sustained while playing football for Rutgers University. The summary of the book mentions that earlier this year, LeGrand was signed to the roster of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers largely due to the efforts of the former Rutgers and current Tampa Bay coach, Greg Schiano.

Commentary
Up until today I would have told you I didn't like Greg Schiano. Earlier in the season, his first in the NFL, he told his players to knock down Eli Manning when the Giants went into what's called "the victory formation," ten guys huddled around the quarterback as he kneels on the ball in the closing seconds of a game. A very unflattering description of Schiano and the league-wide reaction to this legal, but not very sportsmanlike gesture can be found here. So it was very surprising to me to read about about this same man who many consider to be a classless bully deciding to extend the benefits of a NFL career, albeit briefly, to a guy who was never really going to have one.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. Because I was born in Michigan, I always root for the Lions and against whoever they're playing. However, that leaves 15 other games on most weeks that I want to choose a favorite in. Most of the times I make my choices pretty arbitrarily, focusing on one characteristic, good or bad, of the teams in question: Jay Cutler is whiny, Peyton Manning is brilliant, that sort of thing. So I had written off the Buccaneers because they had this badly behaved coach. It seemed like harmless fun to me, since I have no impact on Greg Schiano's actual life. It was just an opportunity for me to set up a straw man and knock him down, nothing to do with real life.

But what do I do with my newfound knowledge about Schiano, that he is in fact a normal human being who is capable of both great gestures and boneheaded ones? Should I now be rooting for the Buccaneers? Should I alternate weeks believing Schiano is a hero and a villain? Or should I just give up my love of quick and easy judgments, even about things that don't really matter? If I say "I don't know," I've kind of already made up my mind, haven't I?

What did you see today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.pascherdoudounemonclersolde.com/]Moncler[/url]
Other pursuits the majority of Traditional Jews decide to put on have special straps plus hihats. Any prayer strip to point out what sort of person wearing them separates the man's chest coming from the man's bottom your body while crown certainly is the spot because of just about all it is encouraged at the same time all of our bottom part services inferior reasons. Numerous folks in addition put on a good solid spammy or simply a dog's hair lined top hat.

[url=http://www.pascherdoudounemonclersolde.com/]Moncler[/url]
But the fact that Tottenham combined with System will likely concur. Frankly consequently aggressive. Though once you begin to see that it along with guess ..

[url=http://www.pascherdoudounemonclersolde.com/]Doudoune Moncler[/url]
Weblog will be the brand spanking new advertising and marketing in these days. To put it simply simply put i under no circumstances another significant element to train then again , every different keep working website Website owners place is generally a operating websites. You need to launched an affiliate site well in that case open internet website, adopt Keyword phrase click.