1/07/2006

I saw myself.

Context
Caddo Area Preparatory Friends Meeting meets Saturdays from 10:00 to noon at the Miller County Senior Citizens Center, 1007 Jefferson Avenue, Texarkana, Arkansas (y'all come!). Somebody mentioned something in vocal ministry today (this link gives a general description of Quaker worship, vocal ministry is part of it) that made me think that God most clearly expresses who He is by what He creates. Then I thought, "people express themselves most clearly that way as well." So I started looking at the things I create in order to see who I am.

Commentary
I do not consider the Bible the only, or sometimes even the best, source of knowledge about God. When I was a little girl I read a book produced by the Jehovah's Witnesses called Listening to the Great Teacher which had a justification for believing in God that has stuck with me. It went along these lines: some people don't believe in God because they can't see Him. You can't see the wind, either, but you see what it does. You can be sure God exists because you can see what He does. From my perspective, what God does best is create. Fiction stories that equate good with creation and evil with destruction, like Stephen King's The Stand, resonate with me. So when I want clues as to what God is like, I look at His creation. When I want to know what He wants me to do, I look at the Bible.

I am not an artistic person (shout out to my sister: what is that, a flying peanut?). So sometimes I don't think of myself as being creative either, but that's not true; I create all kinds of things. I create this blog. I create my work. I create my home and about 1/2 of my marriage. I even create the look I have when I choose what clothing to put on. All of these say something about me. The fact that I'm employed at an IT job and still use the most generic possible blog template speaks volumes about me.

Today I spent some time looking at the things I create and seeing what they express about me. I wasn't doing this to make sure I was making a good impression; I just thought it was a good way to learn more about myself.

What did you see today?

No comments: