1/06/2006

I saw that reality isn't as bad as my imagination.

Context
I disagreed with my boss about something today, and thought she was going to be mad about the disagreement. Turns out she just didn't have the same information I did, and that information caused her to change her mind. Duh!

Commentary
My title looks strange to me. I think of people most often saying, "xyz wasn't nearly as good as I anticipated it would be." I don't usually imagine good things; I imagine bad things.

I don't think this makes me a pessimist. I don't actually believe the worst possible thing will happen, I just prepare for it. Unfortunately, "prepare" sometimes means running through a veritable smorgasbord of stomach-knotting outcomes just so I'll be ready for each one.

I also don't think this makes me a dour person (people who know me well might disagree). In general, situations do not turn out as badly as I expect them to, and I'm constantly pleasantly surprised by that. I'm rarely disappointed by life, and in that respect I think I'm much better off than many people.

For most of my working life, I've held customer-service-oriented jobs. My favorite customer service slogan is, "underpromise; overdeliver." Well, that's what life does with me on a fairly consistent basis.

In a way, this is a meta-entry for my blog. I only discover the superiority of reality over my imagination when I open my eyes. Or, more accurately, when God forces me to open my eyes.

What did you see today?

No comments: